The Birmingham News
The Fairfield City Council voted Monday to have the city attorney request that the state Legislature move on resolving the city's Civic Center Authority. The 3-2 vote follows a 2007 resolution in which the council voted in favor of dissolving the authority, which oversees the Fairfield Civic Center. Legislative action is required to dissolve the authority.
Councilman Rev. F.D. Scott said the city is paying the cost of lawsuits filed against the Civic Center but has no control over the Civic Center Authority, of which he is a former member.
Joining Scott in voting "yes" were Vincent Smith and Ves Marable. Voting against the move were Council President Eldridge O. Turner and Councilman Jerry Yarbrough, both current members of the authority. Councilman Ronald Strothers abstained. The council voted April 6 to have the authority repay a $24,758 settlement against the city. Although he had voted for dissolution while a member of the council, Mayor Kenneth Coachman, now an authority member, said he opposed the council's action. Scott said other lawsuits are pending against the Civic Center.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
- Hueytown Police Chief Chuck Hagler honors 19 offic...
- Hueytown Chamber of Commerce holds banquet
- Pleasant Grove council meeting changed
- Bessemer lgrowth calls for more money
- Art on the Tracks
- Midfield applies for federal grant to hire police ...
- Fairfield school receives inauguration flag
- Fairfield woman sues Hueytown
- Art on the Tracks
- Help the BPD!!
- Bessemer woman dies after apartment fire
- Fairfield City Cuncil Moves to Resolve Civic Cente...
- Fairfield Works gets new President at Steelworker...
- Homeless musicians find their way back home
- Fairfield Wants Civic Center to Pay Lawsuit Settle...
- UPDATE ON BESSEMER BANK ROBBERY
- Lakendall Sims Gets Life Sentence
- UAB Medical West suspends contributions and reduce...
- Donaldson Prison Under Inspection
- Graduation among black students at Miles are good
- Fairfield City Council rejects Coachman's veto, ta...
- ▼ April (21)